The European Academy of Wind Energy
The EAWE is a registered body of research institutes and universities in Europe working on wind energy research and development with the aim to be "A world-leading Wind Energy Academic and Research Community, maintaining Europe in the world fore-front of wind energy pre-competitive innovation".
The Academy was founded in 2004 to formulate and execute joint R&D projects and to coordinate high quality scientific research and education on wind energy at a European level.
The Academy is formed by a set of Articles of Associations with an elected President, Vice President and Past President, it also has a secretary.
EAWE articles of association
The activities of the EAWE are split into:
- Integration activities, through PhD exchanges, exchange of scientists, exploitation of existing research infrastructures;
- Activities to spread excellence, through development of international training courses, dissemination of knowledge, support to SMEs, standardisation;
- Long-term research activities (see below).
The EAWE runs the following regular activities:
- An annual PhD Seminar;
- A bi-annual Research Conference, Making Torque from Wind;
- Supervises the EWEA Annual Conference Scientific Track;
- Recognising excellence in
two annual awards:
- The EAWE Scentific Award;
- The EAWE Excellent Young Wind Doctor Award.
President and Past-Presidents of the Academy are as follows:
since 2013: Prof. Michael Muskulus, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway;
2012 - 2013: Prof. Joachim Peinke, University of Oldenburg, Germany;
2010 - 2012: Prof. Peter Tavner, Durham University, UK;
2009 - 2010: Mr Félix Avia Aranda, CENER, Spain;
2008 - 2009: Prof. dr ir Gijs A.M. van Kuik, TU Delft DUWind, Netherlands;
2007 - 2008: Takis Chaviaropoulos, CRES, Greece;
2006 - 2007: Dr h.c. Ir Jos Beurskens, ECN, Netherlands;
2005 - 2006: Prof Jürgen Schmid, ISET, Germany;
2004 - 2005: Prof Erik Lundtang, Risoe, Denmark;
2003 - 2004: Prof Jürgen Schmid, ISET, Germany.